Optional posts about your character's life before coming aboard Starbase 386

Moderators: Faith_Reed, Manley

Zael
Chief Security Officer

Faces of the Resistance

Post#1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 am

[ON]

<<Janitza Mountains, Bajor, 2366, 2100 hours>>

As the sun sat over the Janitza Mountains and darkness descended on the Kaladrys Valley all sound ceased except for the soothing spatter of rain on bare rock. The wind had picked up and as it made its way through the rock spires of the canyon it added a somber drone to the rain's melody.

Zael Artori listened intently to the uniqueness of nature's song, its tempo and melody shifted subtly as the elements varied their intensity. Each storm made its own song, never to be heard again and he tried hard to let the chorus penetrate him so that he might remember it and carry its soothing sound with him through the next series of hardships.

The rest of his party, a resistance cell of nine members, rested within the confines of a cavern away from the elements but Artori had been heavily soiled from the day's travel and stood motionless as a cascade of water from the hillside above washed over him. The bare skin of his torso soaked up the moisture as the dirt was washed away and after a short time the young Bajoran felt refreshed. He hadn't noticed Nira Lirana approach from behind and was pleasantly startled when he felt her silken touch on his shoulders.

Lirana had quietly made her way over to Artori while the others relaxed. Knowing he would be concentrating on the storm, she lightly rested her fingers on his shoulders, then slid them down his arms as she leaned closer to his ear and said, "Enjoying the storm?"

Artori shivered slightly as he turned, and brought Linara into his arms. With her cheek against his shoulder he kissed her gently on the forehead, “I am now.”

A smile spread slowly across her face as she looked up at him, "We have a beautiful view here, Artori." Lirana didn't mention what was beyond; they all knew and there was no sense in spoiling these moments she shared with him. If only the moments would last forever, rather than the nightmare world they'd been born into.

“I know,” Artori replied wistfully, as much at the discomfort he perceived within her as her comment. “Someday, after the Cardassians have gone and the land is green again like the elders say it was before... I 'd like to build us a home here.”

Lirana's eyes moved across the landscape once again, imagining what it would be like to wake up there every morning, with Artori at her side. Sighing contentedly as she gently moved her fingers across his back, she replied, "I would like that."

Artori gently lifted Lirana's face toward his by the chin and kissed her. Staring into her emerald eyes, he vowed, “then you shall have it.”

Her eyes locked with his as she brought her hand back to stroke his cheek. Lirana glanced back at the cavern, "Should we head back?" Really, she hated to have their time end, but soon they would be missed.

“You're right” Artori conceded. “We should go.” After one last look over the darkening valley he let Lirana lead him back inside.

As Lirana's eyes adjusted to the darkness of the cavern, she led Artori further in, where the rest of the Cell members were, a few hundred feet in. At that point, the cavern opened up into an immense room; there were no stalctites or stalagmites this close to the entrance, but the rock formations were unique nonetheless.

The others had started a fire, the flickering flames casting intricate shadows on the walls of the cavern. A makeshift pot, which they had obtained from an abandoned home, was seated directly on the flames; presumably containing a stew of boiled roots and herbs.

"Decided to clean yourself up for our glamorous meal, Zael?" Jorak said as Lirana and Artori neared the rest of the group.

Artori smirked as he shuffled a small pile of weapons aside to make room for he and Lirana to sit. Shuffling his pile of belongings he retrieved his tattered tunic and began to lace it up, “Yes, that's exactly it Jorak.”

Jorak nodded with a knowing smile before glancing back at Awen, "How's it coming, little sister?"

Awen scowled at her brother. She'd told him a hundred times to quit calling her 'little sister' around the Resistance fighters. It did no good, so at this point she'd decided not to bother reacting to it. "It's ready now. If everyone's ready to eat... Nothing spectacular, but I found a few good herbs that should help it," Awen replied; it had been her turn to cook.

“I'm sure it's a far sight better than the shoe leather...” Artori's voice trailed off as he caught himself referring to the camp he had grown up in. It was agreed among the group that nobody needed a reminder of their suffrage but nobody had said anything to his slip. “It looks delicious Awen, thank you.”

Blushing slightly, Awen gave a slight smile, "I only hope it tastes as good as it looks." Spooning some into two bowls, the young Bajoran took them to Artori and Lirana. Artori was the leader of their Cell, such as it was, and Awen had to admit she was a bit jealous of Lirana. But they, as well as the others, were good people and had helped her feel like she belonged.

Lirana smiled at Jorak's sister as she took the bowl. She brought it to her lips and took a small sip of the hot liquid. "Don't worry, Awen, it tastes wonderful; nice job. I'd like to see what you'd do with even better ingredients. And compared to the meals that some prepare," Lirana let her voice trail off at the joke.

Artori shrugged with a smile, “How was I supposed to know that you can't eat Fernis root... It all looks the same...”

Jorak smiled faintly at the levity, but was distracted by his sister, more than once over the past couple of months he had caught Awen's gaze lingering over Artori, Lirana or both. On some level he could understand her fascination but as her brother he didn't want to see her hurt, he would have to keep a close eye on the girl.

Still filling bowls, Awen brought one over to her brother next. She waited as he stopped sharpening his knife and put it back in its place - strapped to his thigh - before handing him the stew. Once everyone else had been served, Awen took the last remaining bit and sat on the ground close to the fire.

Artori finished the contents of his bowl before the last had been served and after setting it aside took up a stolen Cardassian disruptor to clean it. “Awen,” he began without looking up. “Has Jorak begun training you to shoot?”

Awen looked up at Artori, slightly surprised, as he addressed her, "He started, Artori...but mostly he's been concentrating on hand to hand, or knife skills."

Artori only nodded at first then cast Jorak a sidelong glance, "Do you think she's ready?"

Jorak looked from his sister to Artori with a serious expression, he had wanted to hold off on ranged weapons as long as he could with the hope of keeping Awen out of the fray. His jaw tightened as he met Artori's gaze, he was the leader of the group but he had no right to put anyone on the spot. Jorak wanted to hit Artori at that moment, wanted to wipe his ever knowing expression off of his face but the anger needed to enact his desire never came. At last, Jorak admitted to himself that his sister was quickly becoming as much a fighter as anyone else in the group, why shouldn't she learn to shoot?

Without an answer Artori had already guessed what had gone through his friend's mind, glancing at Awen through strands of still damp hair Artori held out the disruptor rifle for her to take. "It's not much," he stated flatly. "But it's what we have; it's yours."

Having watched the exchange between her brother and Artori, Awen's eyes widened ever so slightly as she rose and stepped forward to take the disrupter rifle. She took it from him with reverence; in her mind, the gift was a rite of passage for the Cell. Now Awen was one of them.

Lirana smiled briefly as Awen took the weapon. She remembered the day that Artori had given her her first disruptor rifle. Knowing that she had gained his trust enough for him to give it to her had been an exciting moment...and having him show her how to use it had been another kind of exciting.

Several minutes of silence passed as the group soaked up the heat of the fire. Artori examined their new equipment, item by item, salvaging useful parts and cleaning the gear that still functioned. Awen studied her disruptor, running her fingers along its cold surface, feeling its weight and envisioning the dead Cardassian from who's hands it had been taken. Lirana sat quietly observing the others and thinking on Artori's words tried to envision a Bajor that was at peace again. Jorak brooded quietly as he watched his sister, imaginings of her death in combat shook his core and eying Artori he wondered if the right decision had been made.

"We have preparations to make," Artori spoke quietly, breaking the silence. "Jorak, Lirana. The rest of you, work out who's going to take watch and get some sleep."

Without another word the group split and settled in for a long night.

[OFF]

A post by:

Nira Lirana
played by: WO1C Kilana Nira

and

Fala Awen

and

Fala Jorak
played by: Lt.(Prov) Zael Artori

and
Provisional Lieutenant Zael Artori
Chief of Security
Starbase 386

Zael
Chief Security Officer

Re: Faces of the Resistance Pt.2

Post#2 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 am

[ON]

<<Janitza Mountains, Bajor, 2366, 2330 hours>>

A faint dripping sound could be heard from deeper in the caverns. At night the air became noticeably cooler and even more damp. Still, it was a safe place, if one existed. The sounds of the storm were more muted now, but still it raged on; more violently now than before.

Once most of the Resistance Cell members had gone to sleep, Jorak, Artori, and Lirana had moved further into the caverns to discuss the next day's strategy. They didn't want to disturb the others, but plans had to be made. A few makeshift candles allowed the space to be dimly lit and the three spoke in hushed tones.

"Rumor is that the Garrison at Jinra has been largely recalled," Jorak continued with his strategic assessment. "There may be fifty Cardassians there and easily five hundred prisoners. We may be able to incite a revolt if we work carefully, the Cardassians would be overwhelmed and forced to retreat."

Artori admired Jorak's keen wit when it came to battle planning but at times he thought his companion assumed too much. "Jinra was a religious center Jorak," Artori began, as neutrally as he could. "The prisoners there would rather wait for the prophets to save them than make a stand themselves. We cannot let our plan center on their cooperation."

Jorak tossed his scrap metal pointer aside and stood abruptly, "Fine Artori. You know, if you seem to have all of the answers why include us in these little meetings at all?"

"Jorak..." Artori began without looking up before being interrupted.

"Save it," Jorak spat as he paced the room anxiously.

Without drawing attention from the cell's leaders, Awen had snuck close. Crouched low behind a boulder she took in the confrontation unfolding.

"This isn't about us," Artori ventured while standing to meet Jorak's gaze. "This is about Awen."

Awen stayed in her hiding spot in the shadows as she listened. It wasn't the first time she had listened to their planning sessions; she found the discussions of strategy interesting. When her name was mentioned though, she practically held her breath, hoping that Artori...or someone...would explain further.

Jorak approached Artori with malice and stopped just short of hitting him, "You had no right Artori!"

Artori stood his ground without so much as a blink; he would have let Jorak hit him if he thought it would make his friend feel any better. "Awen believes in the cause as much as any of the rest of us," Artori said. "And whether you want to admit it or not, she's old enough to make decisions for herself. I understand that you are just trying to protect her but I'd suggest that the best way to do that would be to teach her how to aim that disruptor."

Awen's heart sank a little at the exchange. While she was glad that Artori was standing up for her, she was hurt by her brother's apparent lack of trust in her abilities. He didn't think she was ready - truthfully, he probably didn't think she should be in the Cell at all. Awen already got the feeling, at times, that she wasn't fully accepted by everyone in the Cell, and that wouldn't be helped by the person who knew her best not accepting her.

Lirana stepped forward and gently placed her hand on Artori's arm, "Jorak, you know as well as the rest of us that Awen is doing well. You've been training her yourself and she learns quickly. If you really didn't want her to join, you should've said so from the beginning. She's here now and she has been an asset to us. Like it or not, Awen is here now - sending her back would be even more dangerous at this point and she should know how to shoot. Besides, shooting she can do from a difference, as opposed to up close as she would be with hand to hand or knife combat."

"We've all buried too many friends." Jorak said after turning away from his comrades. "I can't bear the thought of..."

Artori stepped forward and put a hand on his friend's shoulder, "Then train her Jorak. She is stronger than you realize."

Still sitting quietly, Awen continued listening to the conversation. A look of grim determination on her face, she resolved to double her efforts with training. She would prove herself to them.

Returning to their planning circle Lirana retrieved the scrap metal pointer and began to make her addition to the map in the sand. "Let's focus you two," she spoke motioning them over. "I think both of you have a point. We can probably stir some of the Jinrans to action but it's true that we cannot count on it. We're going to need to get someone inside, any ideas there?"

Artori and Jorak returned to their spots and turned their attention back toward the planning. "I can get in," Jorak offered. "I've been there before and know some of the locals."

"No," Lirana interjected. "I'll go."

Artori and Jorak leaned forward simultaneously in disbelief, "What?"

"I will go in," she repeated. "They'll respond better to me. It's best they don't recognize the person who's gone in. They'll be more trusting of a woman and I can stir them up...convince them."

"Lirana," Jorak sighed. "Jinra is a good sized city, hard to navigate. Are you sure about this?"

Artori held Lirana's gaze and smiled slightly, part of him wanted to object but a larger part was reminded of why he had fallen in love with the woman in the first place.

Lirana's eyes locked with Artori's briefly, but she didn't acknowledge the smile, wanting to answer Jorak. "If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have said it twice, Jorak. I was there a couple of times, but as a child. Besides, I have a plan. I'll go."

"Alright, that's settled," Artori said finally and turned his attention to the crude map. "I believe it would work best if we split the team up and started our attack here. The second half of the team would use the distraction to make a rush at the perimeter to make us an entrance. Jorak?"

Jorak studied Artori's proposal for a moment before nodding, "Yeah, I like that. We have a few explosive charges left that should be able to penetrate both layers of perimeter fence."

"Lirana," Artori continued. "We'll give you four hours to get in and make contacts, that should be long enough to give you a chance but not long enough for the guards to take notice."

Nodding, Lirana replied, "Four hours should be plenty of time. Buy me as much as you can, though." It was a risky plan, she knew, and she would be a fool to not have concerns. However, it needed to be done and she was the right one for the job.

"Alright," Artori nodded. "I think we've got it. Jorak, you'll lead the breaching party, make sure everyone has the gear they will need. We should get some sleep."

Hearing the group say they were finished, Awen quietly got up and made her way back to the main chamber. Luckily one of the first things she'd been taught was to move silently so as not to be detected. Glancing around as she joined the others, she found a spot and curled up.

Lirana watched as Jorak nodded and headed back to the others; she reached for Artori's hand as she too made her way to the main cavern.

Thirty minutes later the group lay mostly asleep in the darkened cavern, illuminated only by the remaining embers in the fire pit the rooms shadows seemed alive. Separated by a stone wall, Artori and Lirana rested in each others' embrace, Artori absently ran his fingers gently through Lirana's hair as she rested her cheek on his chest listening to his heart beat.

Artori feared for the safety of his love as much as Jorak feared for his sister's, but he knew Lirana to be as capable a warrior as himself. She was as cunning and bold as anyone he had ever met and he did not doubt her capability to perform her job the following day but the nagging fear remained. "Promise me that you won't take any unnecessary risks tomorrow," he whispered.

Lirana slowly moved her head to look into Artori's eyes, "You know I can't promise that, Artori... I have to assess the situation and react accordingly." Bringing her finger to his lips, she continued, "I will do my best to avoid them, you know that."

"I do," Artori conceded as he kissed her on the forehead. "But it doesn't make me any less afraid. Damn the Cardassians, damn this whole war."

Feeling him tense next to her, Lirana ran her fingers back and forth along his neck, "I'll be alright. I wouldn't let you get out of building that house so easily." She smiled at him and moved closer to Artori, drawing comfort from their closeness.

Artori held Lirana tightly and closed his eyes imagining their future home as he would build it. He imagined the crops that they would grow, the animals that they would herd and the children that they would raise. With the pleasant imaginings of a simple life and the woman he loved Artori drifted into sleep.

[OFF]

A post by:

Nira Lirana

and

Fala Awen

and

Fala Jorak
played by: Lt.(Prov) Zael Artori

and
Provisional Lieutenant Zael Artori