Terry Walsh - Escape Velocity

Optional posts about your character's life before coming aboard Starbase 386

Moderators: Faith_Reed, Manley

Walsh

Terry Walsh - Escape Velocity

Post#1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:22 pm

<2381, USS Lexington, Pilot’s Ready Room, 0900>

Lt. Colonel Ryrie walked in with a grim look on his face. “Alright, who’s the genius that’s been messing with the maintenance crews again?”

Everybody just looked at each other. “What do you mean, sir?” piped up Salazar. “Something wrong down in the hangar bays?”

Terry turned around. He had just replicated himself a cup of coffee. He took a quick sip and said, “Sal, you haven’t been writing up stupid maintenance problems again, have you?”

“Now would I do that?” replied 2nd Lt. Salazar.

“If you do that one more time Salazar,” said the Lt. Colonel, “you’ll be assisting the ships security department…on the night shift.

“Instead of my regular duties, sir?” asked Salazar.

“In addition to your regular duties and washing the fighters,” answered Lt. Colonel Ryrie.

Lt. Salazar slumped in his chair and sighed. “When would I sleep?”

“Captain Walsh, gather the men in the briefing room in ten minutes. The Lexington’s got new orders,” said Ryrie.

“Yes, sir,” replied Walsh.

Kelnor waited until the Lt. Colonel left. “What did you write up as a problem anyway?” he asked.

Salazar grinned. “Warped engine. Request straightening.”

<2380, USS Lexington, Briefing Room, 0916>

“The Lexington is being sent to patrol the shipping lanes between Starbase 375 and the Mizar system,” began Lt. Colonel Ryrie. “There are reports that the Orion Syndicate has increased it’s piracy operations in those lanes. The Lexington has been tasked with standard patrol of the area. Our job is to be on standby. Any questions?” No one spoke up and Terry understood why. Every mission seemed to be standby for them. It was getting monotonous. A big, Sovereign class ship could easily take care of whatever was needed, or so it seemed. “Good,” said the Colonel. “Then you’re all dismissed.”
Major Terry Walsh
Fighter Wing Vice Commander
Starbase 386

Walsh

Re: Terry Walsh - Escape Velocity

Post#2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:50 pm

<2381, Four days later, Fighter Hangar>

Four days later, the Lexington had encountered an Orion pirate ship. It seemed to be an old-fashioned stand-off from what the Marines were hearing. The Lt. Colonel was on the Bridge and the ship was already at Red Alert status. They were all sitting there, dressed and ready to strap on their fighters. The seconds passed slowly. Then suddenly the ship shook and the red ‘go’ lights in the hangar flashed. Every Marine ran to his fighter. The force field had been activated and the hangar doors were opening. The fighters were warming up.

A few seconds later they were out the doors. Terry couldn’t figure out why they’d gotten the signal to deploy, but he didn’t question it at this point. He had a job to do and at that moment it was being relayed to him over the comm system. He was to take three other fighters and attempt to draw enemy fire. The others were to do the same. Now he wondered…why wasn’t the Lexington simply knocking out everything…why were they being the bait…did their sensors pick up something else? What? A stray phaser shot from the pirate ship woke him up. Time to get the job done. Because after the job was done, it was time to relax and kick back.

About seventeen minutes into the battle, Terry took a hit. His fighter corkscrewed as he fought to gain control back. His head lurched forward as his fighter stopped suddenly, caught in the Orion pirate’s tractor beam. It was pulling him in. He tried everything to break loose. The Lexington was doing nothing. What in the world were they waiting on! He decided that if he ever made it out of there alive, he would certainly confront the Colonel and the Captain about this. As his ship was being tractored into the cargo bay, Terry thought of two main things. Number one, the Typhoon class fighter couldn’t fall into pirate hands. Number two, he had to survive and find a way off that ship.

He pulled out his knife and made a few, small non-threatening cuts on his arms. He rubbed the blood in his hair and some on his face. He pulled out his phaser and palmed it the best he could down by his side. Then laying his head back, he faked injury. His fighter fell to the floor and jarred a bit as the tractor beam disengaged. He could hear footsteps and counted approximately four people. He could easily take them out.

They got closer and closer. When he could almost smell them, Terry sat up and opened fire. The four Orions were down. He scrambled out of his fighter and over to the controls for the bay doors. He had no idea what he was looking at; the Orion configuration was foreign to him. The only other thing he could do was fire up his fighter and see if he could blast through. He turned to run back and was confronted by the pirate from the upper control room. Terry grinned and nodded his head. The pirate shook his from side to side. Terry lunged and the pirate drew his weapon and fired.

Twenty minutes later, Terry woke up. He was still slightly stunned from the blast. He sat up even though his stomach was telling him otherwise. The room around him was dim and grimy. Terry realized he was sitting in a cell and that he had been stripped of all his weapons. Knowing he was captured, he immediately began working on a plan of escape. About that moment, the pirate ship rocked and lurched to the side. The Lexington hadn’t left…there was still hope. Several guards ran by his cell. One of them mentioned something about getting to the engine room. For whatever reason they were gone, he was glad. Apparently they didn’t consider him to be too much of a threat. Which worked in his favor.

He stood up and groaned, shuffling over to the force field to get a better look around outside. About five feet down the hall was another cell. It was from that cell that he heard a voice.
Major Terry Walsh
Starbase 386

Walsh

Post#3 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

“You okay?”

“Nothing a strong cup of coffee wouldn’t fix. You?” asked Terry.

“Yeah, sure. Today anyway. Say, you Starfleet?”

“Yeah, Starfleet Marines. Captain Terry Walsh at your service. Don’t worry, we’ll get out of here. The USS Lexington is still out there and I have a plan to get out.”

“Don’t bother,” said the voice. “These guys, there pirates and smugglers. They’ve got more security protocols on this vessel than I’ve ever seen before. I never told you my name, Captain. It’s….”

Terry cut him off. “Shh. There’s more coming…and there walking, not running,” said Terry. “I’m going to try and listen to what they’re saying.”

Luckily for Terry, the halls and corridors of that pirate or smuggler ship echoed pretty good in the holding cell area. He heard the two talking about checking on the new prisoner. “We’ll talk later,” he told his fellow captive in a low whisper. Terry headed back to his ‘bed’ and took a knee in front of it. With one hand on the bed and the other on his head, he feigned sickness.

“Well, well. Either this child is about to regurgitate or he’s recovering from that blast,” said one of the men.

“You want something to drink, dirty water maybe?” asked the other.

Terry ignored him.

“Hey! I’m talking to you! Answer me!”

“Sorry,” Terry replied. “I don’t usually reply to garbage scow guards.” He never moved an inch.

“You don’t talk to me that way!” shouted the Orion. “Especially when I’m the one with your knife!” He’d started to brag.

“You talk big for somebody on the other side of that force field.” Terry hoped to enrage the man enough to get him to lower the field and come in.

“How stupid do you think I am, human.” He laughed loudly.

Terry pushed himself up to a sitting position on the bed. He looked up at the man’s face. It was surprisingly clean. “Stupid enough.”

The Orion glared at Terry. The ship rocked again and the lights in the holding area flickered. The two men ran over the consoles across the hall.

“What was that?”

“Our shields are down and the warp engine is inoperable. The bridge is transferring all available power to the weapons and impulse engines. We’re making a run for it!” The lights flickered again and this time so did the force field.
Major Terry Walsh
Starbase 386

Walsh

Post#4 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm

“Watch that human!” The Orion that Terry had been taunting earlier went to the cell.

Another salvo from the Lexington shut down the force fields. The smuggler raised the Marine’s knife over his head and charged Terry. Terry put up his arms in an ‘X’ formation to block the downward thrust of his attacker. His wounds from earlier had never healed, only clotted. Pain shot through his arms as the wounds were re-opened. Immediately, he instinctively brought up his knee into the Orion’s stomach. He doubled over and howled in pain, dropping the knife. Terry grabbed him and shoved his head into the metal wall behind him. The smuggler fell. The other Orion charged Terry and they both fell to the floor. Terry managed to roll over and get behind his attacker. He wrapped his pain-racked arms around the Orion’s head in a typical one-on-one combat fashion and…snap. The Orion fell down, dead. “Stupid enough,” he said. Terry picked up his knife and went over to the other cell.

“Come on,” he said. “Let’s go.”

“Where?” asked the man.

“Do you know how to get to the cargo bay where they’re keeping my fighter?” Terry asked.

“Yeah, but what good will that do? It’s damaged isn’t it? And there’s no time to fix any of it.”

“It’ll get us out of here and far enough away so that hopefully the Lexington can get a transporter lock.”

“Wait.” The man walked up to the console and started tapping away.

“You know that system?” Terry asked.

He looked up. There was a slight pause. Terry caught a good look at is face. “I’ve been here a long time,” he said. He turned his attention back to the console. “It looks like the Lexington is still in pursuit, at least as far as I can tell. That’s good. Hopefully they won’t pay much attention to you as you leave.” He paused. “Here, look. Here we are and here’s the hangar. Also, you’ll need this before you leave.” The man tapped a few buttons on the wall and a panel slid open. Inside were Romulan disruptors. “These people will use whatever they can get their hands on.” He tossed one to Terry. “Down the hall and to your right.”

“No way! I never leave a man behind! You’re coming with me!” Terry shouted.

“Look, you’re a Starfleet Marine. I’m not even regular Starfleet. I’d just slow you down. Besides, if I stay, I’m more likely to live. If they see me try to escape, they’ll kill me. They like to keep me around. You see, I’m a technical and mechanical kind of person. Most of the time, they force me to fix things they break. That way, they don’t have to expend the energy themselves. ‘Make the slave do it,’ they say. And I’m always a good bargaining chip with other smugglers.”

They could hear heavy footfalls in the hallway behind them. “I am not leaving you here!” said Terry.

“There’s no time to argue. Here, take this.” He shoved a small item wrapped in old, multi-colored cloth in Terry’s pocket. “Don’t ask, just take it. I don’t want them to find it. Now go!” He reset the console like no one had bothered with it and went back into his cell.

“I will get you back!” shouted Terry. “One day, I will find you and get you back! Because I never leave a man behind!”

He nodded and waved back. “Go.”

Terry exited the holding area amid disruptor fire.
Major Terry Walsh
Starbase 386

Walsh

Post#5 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:19 am

<Orion pirate ship, Cargo Bay>

Terry made it back to the cargo bay and went with his original plan to torpedo through the bay doors. He climbed into his seat and started the fighter. Guards ran in and started firing. He activated the shields before too much more damage could be done. His fighter rose up off the deck as the engines powered up. Taking aim, Terry launched the torpedoes and blew a huge hole through the doors. He gunned the engines and flew away.

He could barely make the Lexington out in the distance. Apparently the pirates had modified their engines at some point. He checked his sensors. The pirate ship wasn’t even there. Those dogs, he thought, they’ve got a modified cloak. They must have activated it sometime after his new buddy reset that console. It’s no wonder the Lexington is so far away.

He opened a channel to the Lexington. “USS Lexington, this is Captain Terry Walsh requesting immediate assistance.”

“This is Captain Shelby of the USS Lexington. What’s your situation?”

“I’ll need a doc and the fighter’s a little worse for wear.”

“Understood, Mr. Walsh. We’re on our way. Lexington out.”

Seconds later, Terry watched as the huge ship came to a slow stop in front of him. He was cleared to land almost immediately and piloted the damaged fighter safely into the hangar. Captain Shelby and Colonel Ryrie was there with the doctor and the a bunch of other Marines. He climbed out and was welcomed back. Col. Ryrie almost slapped him on the shoulder until he saw his arms. He waved the doctor over, who said that he needed to get Terry immediately to Sickbay.

After the medical exam and being fixed up, Terry wrote up a report of all the events that took place. Including the man he met who helped him escape and yet stayed behind. He thought a little more about that item wrapped up in that old, mulit-colored cloth. Terry realized then that it was probably something personal. He remembered the man saying that he didn’t want the Orions to have it. So he never unwrapped it. Instead he had a small display case made up for it. A purple velvet cloth was fitted over foam. The wrapped item fit tightly in a small indentation to hold it in place. The box always sat on a table in a prominent place in his quarters…wherever those might be. A small, low powered desk lamp sat over it and was always on. It was a constant reminder that he broke his cardinal rule, never leave a man behind. But it also reminded him that there was a man out there somewhere that he swore to bring back.

OFF: The End...?
Major Terry Walsh
Starbase 386

Return to “Character Development”