Walsh - End of Flight School & the Start of Shoreleave

Optional posts about your character's life before coming aboard Starbase 386

Moderators: Faith_Reed, Manley

Walsh

Walsh - End of Flight School & the Start of Shoreleave

Post#1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 pm

<2382, Earth, France, Burgundy, Vosne-Romanée, Wine Vineyards >

Terry had finished Starfleet Academy’s flight school back at San Francisco. It was nice to have a few days of leave on Earth before he reported to Starbase G-6. Especially with what happened almost two years ago still etched in his memory. He planned to do a little wine shopping in France and go back to see his parents. He’d learned that the best wine in the world was a Burgundy called Domaine Romanée-Conti. According to his research, it was the most rarefied and expensive wine in the world, with vintages that needed decades to mature. A wine connoisseur once explained it like this, “Bordeaux is more linear and straightforward, whereas Burgundy is more elusive and sensuous. Bordeaux is Bach, Burgundy is Mozart.” These would be very special bottles that he would keep for those very special occasions. If any of those ever turned up.

He set the basket down that his favorites in it. "Guess that'll be all," he said to the Frenchman behind the counter. "Oh, I almost forgot, do you have any Domaine Romanée-Conti?"

The owner looked at him, astonished. "You have very expensive tastes, Monsieur," he said. "You realize that takes decades to mature and is extremely expensive."

"I know, what have you got?"

"Perhaps I have two bottles just past thirty years that I am willing to sell...maybe three for a good price." The old man was an absolute salesman. Terry laid out the money on the counter. He’d been saving for several years for these.

Terry put the carefully packed container under the basket of other wines he bought. Counting the three expensive ones, Terry had seven bottles. The Domaine Romanée-Conti would only be opened for an extra special occasion only. He headed back to his hotel and made preparations for the return to Frisco.
Major Terry Walsh
Fighter Wing Vice Commander
Starbase 386

Walsh

Re: Walsh - End of Flight School & the Start of Shoreleave

Post#2 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:24 pm

<2382, Earth, San Francisco, Walsh home, 1215>

Terry’s visit with his parents was going well. He went into a little more depth about his last assignment on the Lexington and his transfer to Starbase G-6. At which point his dad, an old-school Sergeant Major, said, “So, you’re still doing ‘milk runs’ are you?”

Terry threw a turkey leg at him. “You never know how warm the water is until you jump into the pool.”

His dad replied, “Yeah, and we all know why it’s warm.”

“Leon William Walsh! Shut your mouth!” Connie was quick. She had to be.

Terry laughed as he looked up and saw his mom holding a large platter over his dad’s head. That little Irish woman was fast, too. And had the temperament to match.

Leon decided Starfleet jokes weren’t worth another trip to the infirmary. So he reached in and pulled a challenge coin out of his pocket and started tapping the counter. Terry whipped his out and tapped the table in response. Connie put the platter down and smiled.

Leon grinned. “Let’s see it.”

They both flipped each other their coin and took a look. Terry’s was just standard. On the other hand…

“Dad!” he exclaimed, “This is a Division General’s coin? How in the world did you manage this?”

“I won it in a card game. It’s yours, keep it. It may prove useful on that Starbase.”

“Dad…I can’t…you…”

“Don’t worry, son. I can get another one. The General’s a poor poker player. No game face.” He grinned. “None of the Divisional brass have a game face.”

“It’s not that. I just don’t think Starfleet participates in this, dad.”

“That’s too bad. It’s a fun, old tradition.” Leon paused. “Hey, maybe you can revive it or unofficially institute it or whatever.”

Terry thought for a second. You know, it would be kind of fun. But it would never work.
Major Terry Walsh
Fighter Wing Vice Commander
Starbase 386

Return to “Character Development”